Saturday, May 24, 2008

Pride Without Prejudice

On May 7th, the Rev. Kevin Matthews, chaplain at St. Mary’s House in Greensboro, celebrated a special service in honor of the Triad’s “Pride Without Prejudice” festival. During his sermon, Rev. Matthews apologized for all the cruel and hurtful actions committed against GLBT individuals by the Church in the name of God—it was a powerful moment. I also appreciated the unique, inclusive Evening Prayer liturgy Rev. Matthews created. The following prayer from the service is one that I hope will give you strength in the face of suffering:

Save me, O God, from the temptation to be less than fully human, less than the child of God You created me to be. Save me, O God, from the temptation to view my sexuality as a curse, rather than as a precious gift with which You have blessed me. Save me, O God, from those who seek to heal what does not need healing, who seek to further wound me by making me think I am a mistake, rather than made in Your image. Save me, O God, from easy and simplistic theology, which seems to offer security but really offers shackles and blinds the soul from knowing You in all Your complexity, beauty, and wonder. Save me, O God, from everything and everyone that would distract me or dissuade me from living into Your calling on my life.

Amen!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is Hannah Bevills, Editor for Christian.com which is a social network made specifically for Christians, by Christians, to directly fulfill Christian's needs. We embarked on this endeavor to offer the ENTIRE christian community an outlet to join together as one (no matter denomination) and better spread the good word of Christianity. Christian.com has many great features aside from the obvious like christian TV, prayer request or even find a church/receive advice. We have emailed you because we have interest in collaborating with you and your blog to help us spread the good word. I look forward to an email regarding the matter, Thanks!

God Bless
|Hannah Bevills|Christian.com|
hannah.bevills@gmail.com